Numbers From LA Program
In Los Angeles, the program has operated for nine years.
Of 187 youth served, 27 did not complete the program.
Of the 141 youth who completed the program,
• 32% achieved legal permanency
• 19% were in process for adoption or guardianship
• 22% were finalized
If you look at relationships developed beyond legal permanency for children who have left the program,
• 23% left the program with a host family relationship,
• 4% moved in with their hosts, and
• 23% left the program with a hosting relationship.
Youth Who Completed the Program – August 2015 (N=141)
When added to those achieving legal permanency
68% of kids who participated achieved a connection with a caring adult.
Other Positive Outcomes of the Program
Engages New Families
- Families who would not otherwise sign up to foster or adopt with the local government agency
- Families who want to move more slowly can do so and stay involved via program events and hosting
- Social workers experience older kids finding permanent families
- Kids experience improved self-esteem and academic performance
These successes lead to more stable placements
Empowers the Kids
- Kids have a choice. They are matched with a host by mutual consent which has a much greater potential for success.
- Success is possible without adoption as many hosts evolve into long-term mentors.